Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sakura

It's cherry blossom time in Tokyo.


The cherry trees began to bloom late last week and should last through this weekend, but probably not too much longer. There's a street lined w/ cherry trees between where I'm staying and my office (pictured above). I took this picture on Monday. You can see a few tarps people have set out to picnic under trees. Over the weekend, the whole place was packed with people and tarps. Vendors setup shop along the streets and people just hang out all day.

Sunday was nice so I wandered around a lot. I ended up in Ueno park near dusk and it was insanely crowded. Apparently, during sakura season, the entire city of Tokyo just hangs out under the cherry trees on the weekends. Hopefully it will be nice this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome! I want to picnic in Tokyo under a cherry tree.

    ReplyDelete