Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Bon Fire

The other night, about a block from my apartment I came across an impromptu bon fire that some guys decided to have on the sidewalk in downtown Seoul. The more distant fire seemed to be composed of nothing but business cards for massage parlors that carpet all sidewalks in the area. However, they didn't seem to have an anti-massage agenda. As far as I could tell they just had a pro-trash, coffee and fire agenda.



They were not keen on being photographed, however. The guy on the left came over to gesticulate that he would prefer not to have this lovely event documented. Using my quick thinking, I deleted the first blurry photo to appear friendly and tried asking what they were doing. I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure he said, "We're just burning shit b/c that's how we roll."

So, now I know that you can apparently just light stuff on fire in the street here. And they should know that when you decide to just burn stuff in public, it's really not worth trying to censor everyone who walks by.

No comments:

Post a Comment